Thirty songs to learn for your next summer party
There are undoubtedly decades of popular songs we all know and love, but the songs you most adore probably vary depending on where you live, what time of year it is, what generation of artists you grew up rocking out to, and so on. Most music lovers have a diverse taste in music, appreciating everyone from Johnny Cash, Hank Sr., and Louis Armstrong to the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix to Peter Tosh, Ed Sheeran, Metallica, Chick Corea, and Ice Cube. Also, let’s not forget the ever-popular EDM artists and modern DJs with remixes! The musicscape is so vast that it can feel unreal, and new generations are constantly opening themselves up to even more new music and fusion-based musical styles.
What do all these disparate artists have in common, though? A unique musicality—and a song. It might not even be a particularly unique song. In fact, many, many popular songs are relatively simple and don’t have anywhere near twenty chords. (This excludes fusion and prog groups.)
Music is our business—all day, all the time—and we want you to love playing music with confidence. The Fret Zealot staff members, in addition to being music lovers, have been to more than a fair share of concerts, local music events, and (dare we say) shindigs. Some of our “professional affiliates” even perform for a living. Using that expertise, as well as a healthy dose of deliberation, we have compiled a list of songs you should learn to play and sing at your next party:
1) What I Got, by Sublime
2) Come as You Are, by Nirvana
3) Folsom Prison Blues, by Johnny Cash
4) Stairway to Heaven, by Led Zeppelin
5) Pride & Joy, by Stevie Ray Vaughan
6) Hotel California, by The Eagles
7) Roadhouse Blues, by The Doors
8) Friends in Low Places, by Garth Brooks
9) Rambling Man, by The Allman Brothers Band
10) Landslide, by Fleetwood Mac
11) Burn One Down, by Ben Harper
12) My Girl, by The Temptations
13) The Joker, by Steve Miller Band
14) Proud Mary, by Creedence Clearwater Revival (or Tina Turner)
15) Brown Eyed Girl, by Van Morrison
16) Hey Joe, by Jimi Hendrix
17) I’m Yours, by Jason Mraz
18) Crazy Train, by Ozzy Osbourne
19) Fast Car, By Tracy Chapman
20) 3 AM, Matchbox 20
21) American Girl, by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
22) Take Me Home Country Roads, by John Denver
23) Purple Rain, by Prince
24) Crash Into Me, by Dave Matthews Band
25) The Cave, Mumford & Sons
26) You Shook Me All Night Long, by AC/DC
27) One Love, by Bob Marley & The Wailers
28) Gravity, by John Mayer
29) Set Fire to the Rain, by Adele
30) Simple Man, by Lynyrd Skynyrd
There are over 3,000 lessons in Fret Zealot Courses and Songs! Check it out in the Fret Zealot apps or online.
Oh yeah, this is in addition to 80,000 song tracks, every chord and scale, 60 alternate tunings, and so much more. The Fret Zealot LED system fits just next to your frets and shows you color coded finger positions to play anything you want. The Android and iOS apps give you wireless control.
We want to hear from you! What are the most popular songs you like to sing, to hear, and to sing along to at a party?
As always, if you want any help learning the tunes or performing them with epic LED lights on your frets, then we’ve got you!